Saturday, January 21, 2017

Marvel Legends Namor

 

Today I picked up the Walgreens Exclusive Marvel Legends Namor figure. I was able to find him after only checking 2 Walgreens. This is the 3rd Namor figure made in the Marvel Legends line. The first once came out in Series 2, I believe, and featured a more classic look to the character, though he was wearing a similar suit as this one. That figure was well made, though his arm posing range was limited and his legs seemed too skinny. I eventually sold mine. A few years ago, another one was released with a Fantastic Four ML series. That one was very skinny, had a small head, and weird paint applications and I never wanted him.  This Namor features an excellent sculpt, detailed paint apps (featuring metallic teal paint!), and top notch articulation.

Though it's an exclusive figure, the packaging puts Namor in the Civil War series. The packaging features very slick artwork and photography.  I'm a big fan of the current packaging style Hasbro is using. 


Namor comes with a large trident (a repainting of the recent BAF Odin figure's staff) and two alternate "swimming" hands.  The trident features very nice metallic paint, but since it was originally made for the larger Odin figure, it doesn't fit well in his hands. I forced it into his hands for this photo shoot, but I'm worried about damaging his thumbs, so I won't be using it when I display him.




Namor's alternate hands are great for creating swimming poses for the underwater king. There are action figure stands made that can create a flying or swimming effect for your figures, but I don't have them handy, so I just posed him and held him up. The effect works pretty great with the extra hands.


Now for some up-close pictures. Hasbro is doing a FANTASTIC job with their sculpting these days. I love the smug look on Namor's face, the wrinkles on his collar, the metallic scales on his suit.  Just a really well done figure all around. The only problem I noticed was that on some of the figures I had to choose from, the paint on his eyes came out a little weird. Luckily I had 6 to choose from, so I left with the best one. Check out this sculpting excellence.



I always like to show my new figures interacting with characters they know from the comics. This first one features Namor about to make-out with his long time obsession, Sue Storm (aka Invisible Woman).  My Reed Richards figure wasn't so excited to see this guy come home from Walgreens, btw.


Namor has been in several teams over the years. As one of Marvel's first heroes, he was part of Captain America's "Invaders" team that fought the Axis Powers during World War II. The team consisted of Namor, Captain America, and the Human Torch. Here is a rare photo I found of the team.


In the 60's and 70's he was also a part of the original Defenders team. In my opinion, this is one of the most random teams in the history of Marvel, but hey, I like all the characters in it, so whatever.


Lastly, I had to compare Namor to his DC counterpart, Aquaman. While both figures are very well done, I think the sculpting, design, paint, and overall "cool guy look" awards all go to Namor. Sorry Arthur.


Thanks for checking out my review of the Marvel Legends Namor figure. I'm very impressed with him and highly recommend him to Marvel fans and Legends collectors alike. Just be sure to get one with well-painted eyes, if you have more than one to choose from in the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment